by Adam Keller
In 2005 the State of Israel carried out a large political and military operation called "Disengagement from Gaza", following which the state formally informed the Supreme Court that it no longer controls Gaza and is not responsible for what is happening there.
When asked why, then, does the State of Israel continue to keep its warships cruising off the coast of Gaza and block the way of anyone trying to get in or out, the state answered that it had imposed a naval blockade on the Gaza Strip. Indeed, there is such a possibility in International Law, to impose a blockade on the shores of another country. But does Israel really consider the shores of Gaza as the shores of another country?
Last Saturday, two boats sailed toward the coast of Gaza, one from Canada and the other from Ireland. At sea, in international waters, they were boarded and taken over by the renowned Naval Commandos of the State of Israel. "This time it passed without violence," read a brief news story published the next day's in Israel's biggest newspaper "Yediot Ahronot". Which is not entirely accurate.
The peace sailors, from Canada and Australia and Ireland and other countries, indeed did not resort to any kind of violence. On the other hand, the renowned commandos did use electric shockers and pointed loaded guns at the heads of the activists. True, on this occasion they did not pull the trigger, and everybody on board survived and got alive into the detention cells.
"You're charged with violating the law on Entry Into Israel. Sign right here: 'I admit that I entered Israel illegally' " said the Israeli Police interrogators. "Absolutely not," answered the activists. "We did not want to enter Israel, we had absolutely no intention to do so. We wanted to reach Gaza, and you yourselves stated that Gaza is not Israel. We have entered Israel only because your soldiers took us off a boat in international waters and brought us into Israeli territory by force and against our will".
"If you don’t sign a confession that you have entered Israel illegally, we keep you here" concluded the policeman...
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Deadly clashes in south #Lebanon refugee camp
- #Russia blocks UN tribunal on #MH17
- Pastor 'admits bid to build Christian state in N Korea'
- UK restricts dissident Chinese artist's visa request
- Several dead in #Turkey in attacks blamed on PKK group
- US and #Turkey agree to create 'ISIL-free zone' in #Syria
- #Palestine to lodge #ICC complaint over baby's death
- In Search of a Hero
- Israeli Diplomat: Maintaining German Guilt About The Holocaust Helps Israel
- Palestinians bury baby killed in West Bank arson attack
- Palestinian baby burned to death in settler attack
- #Israel authorises force-feeding of prisoners