The Obama administration is funding so-called "shadow" internet and mobile phone networks, which allow activists to operate independently of government controls.
The "shadow" networks are portable kits that fit in suitcases, which could maintain ad-hoc computer networks useful to activists in places where internet is either inaccessible or being monitored.
One team of technologists in Washington has received a government grant to build a portable network.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Finland: Tens of thousands march in anti-racism rallies
- Call for emergency UN meet amid regime assault in Syria
- Abubakar Shekau appears alive in new Boko haram video
- Zimbabwe castigates Botswana leader over Mugabe comment
- Missing Mexico students: Case unresolved two years on
- Gun-and-bomb attacks on Iraqi security forces kill 11
Who Is Your Choice for President?