The Obama administration is funding so-called "shadow" internet and mobile phone networks, which allow activists to operate independently of government controls.
The "shadow" networks are portable kits that fit in suitcases, which could maintain ad-hoc computer networks useful to activists in places where internet is either inaccessible or being monitored.
One team of technologists in Washington has received a government grant to build a portable network.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Top court approves Russia's ban from Rio Paralympics
- Deadly attack hits American University campus in Kabul
- Italy earthquake: Rescuers race to find survivors
- Somalia: Al-Shabab gunmen attack beach restaurant
- Powerful quake hits central Italy, hundreds dead
- South Sudan's Riek Machar in Khartoum for medical care