The Obama administration is funding so-called "shadow" internet and mobile phone networks, which allow activists to operate independently of government controls.
The "shadow" networks are portable kits that fit in suitcases, which could maintain ad-hoc computer networks useful to activists in places where internet is either inaccessible or being monitored.
One team of technologists in Washington has received a government grant to build a portable network.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Somali jet suspect 'checked in on Turkish Airlines'
- Tunisia completes barrier along Libya border
- Congo to probe alleged sex abuse by peacekeeers in CAR
- Al-Qaeda claims kidnap of Australians in Burkina Faso
- Algeria adopts landmark constitutional reforms
- Australian released by al-Qaeda says husband is alive