Friday, October 20, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Riek Machar's men blamed for deadly South Sudan raid

Women, elderly people and police among 25 killed by exiled politician's fighters in oil-rich Unity state, say officials.

Fighters

Fighters loyal to an exiled former deputy president in South Sudan have attacked government forces in Unity state, leading to the deaths of 25 people, including civilians, according to officials.

Unity is home to oil fields that have been abandoned due to fighting.

The clash between Riek Machar's loyalists and government forces occurred early on Monday in Nhialdiu, a village close to the town of Bentiu which has changed hands repeatedly since a civil war began nearly four years ago.

"The number of the bodies that were found on the ground were 25," said Lam Tungwar, information minister for Northern Liech state, adding that the attack was "repulsed".

Those killed during the fighting included women, elderly people and local police officers, Lam Tungwar, state minister of information for Northern Liech, told Reuters news agency.

Lam Paul Gabriel, a spokesman for the SPLA-IO fighters, confirmed the clash, claiming "a successful operation" in which "the gallant SPLA-IO forces took control of Nhialdiu", killed 19 government soldiers and seized dozens of weapons.

Tungwar said most of the dead were civilians.

Dickson Gatluak Jock, military spokesman for South Sudanese Vice President Taban Deng Gai, said the attack coincided with dialogue in Nhialdiu between rival clans aimed at securing peace in the region.

After gaining independence from Sudan in 2011, South Sudan descended into war in December 2013, pitting President Salva Kiir's troops against fighters loyal to Machar.

A peace accord was signed in August 2015 and Machar returned to the capital in April last year to share power with Kiir.

However, the deal fell apart less than three months later, and Machar and his supporters fled the capital, Juba.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed and more than 3.5 million have been displaced since the conflict began.

The war has created what has been called one of the world's fastest-growing refugee crises, and both sides of the conflict have been accused of abuses.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Kenya political crisis deepens in r...

Read More

South Sudan: UN, US failed to preve...

Read More

Farmajo blames al-Shabab for Mogadi...

Read More

Senior Kenyan electoral official re...

Read More

Critic of Rwanda's president asks f...

Read More

Mogadishu massacre: A gravedigger's...

Read More

Global_News

US top diplomat indicates there has been little progress on the eve of trip to region in renewed bid to mediate crisis.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Che Guevara remembered

Is it autumn yet in Europe?