Tuesday, October 24, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

ELN leader readies fighters for Colombia ceasefire

Under the truce, set to take effect at midnight, the group will suspend hostage-taking and attacks on infrastructure.

Nicolas Rodriguez

The head of Colombia's last remaining rebel group has ordered fighters to stand down in advance of a bilateral ceasefire taking effect this weekend.

The ceasefire is an important milestone in efforts to end a half century of political violence in the South American country.

In a rare video posted online on Friday, Nicolas Rodriguez, known by his war alias Gabino, said he was confident fighters belonging to the National Liberation Army (ELN) would obey orders not to attack government troops or take other actions banned by the ceasefire.

"I have no doubt of your loyalty and that you will fulfil this commitment to the last consequences," Rodriguez said.

Hopes were high for peace talks between the government and the ELN that started in February in Ecuador following an agreement last year that led to the disarmament of the much larger Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).

But progress has been slow as the ELN has remained on the offensive and stepped up attacks on oil pipelines.

Just this week, the group was blamed for two simultaneous attacks on a major oil pipeline near the border with Venezuela that dumped crude in several rivers and farms affecting 700 families.

President Juan Manuel Santos on Friday signed a decree ordering troops not to attack ELN rebels once the temporary ceasefire takes effect at midnight Saturday.

Santos pointed out that this would be the first bilateral ceasefire the ELN has signed in its history.

The ceasefire, agreed to on September 4, will initially last until January 9, after which it can be renewed by mutual consent.

As part of the agreement, the ELN has pledged to suspend hostage-taking, recruitment of minors and attacks on infrastructure.


READ MORE: Colombia declares FARC war over as last guns taken away


The government in turn must improve conditions for jailed fighters, as well as boost protections for leftist activists in areas dominated by the ELN.

"As Pope Francis has urged, we must never stop pursuing peace," Santos said.

According to the protocol signed by government and rebel negotiators, UN observers will fan out across the country to 33 areas where the ELN is strongest to monitor the ceasefire's implementation.

They will be assisted by the Roman Catholic Church, from which many of the ELN's founders - priests and seminary students - hail.

The FARC and ELN formed in 1964 to fight for land rights and protection of poor rural communities.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Jimmy Carter says I would go to Nor...

Read More

Poet Pablo Neruda pens a verse from...

Read More

US city links hurricane relief to s...

Read More

Trump's turbulent week: Five things...

Read More

‘Murder insurance’ or protection, U...

Read More

Tillerson blames Saudi-led group fo...

Read More

Global_News

According to estimates, the Duterte administration needs at least $1.1bn for the rehabilitation of the city.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Diwali: The festival of lights

Marawi in ruins after battle