Monday, August 20, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Trump: Korea denuclearisation talks ongoing, no timeframe set

US president also says Russia has agreed to help with North Korea's pledge to dismantle its nuclear weapons programme.

Singapore on June 12

US President Donald Trump has said there is no timeframe for North Korea to give up its nuclear programme.

Trump met with Chairman Kim Jong-un on June 12 in a summit that was the first of its kind between a sitting US president and a North Korean leader.

The two leaders pledged to work toward denuclearisation but stopped short of defining the process, much less ascribing a timeline for its completion.

"Discussions are ongoing and they're going very well," Trump told reporters on Tuesday, adding "we have no time limit. We have no speed limit."

Trump said he discussed North Korea with Russian President Vladimir Putin at a summit in the Finnish capital Helsinki on Monday.

"President Putin is going to be involved in the sense that he is with us," Trump said.

On Wednesday, Trump reaffirmed in a tweet that Russia "had agreed to help with Noth Korea," adding sanctions he extended on Pyongyang earlier in April would remain in place.

Earlier in June, US broadcaster NBC News reported that US intelligence agencies believed North Korea continued producing fuel for its nuclear programme.

It said the intelligence community believes the weapon is deemed essential by the communist state for its survival as it positions "itself to extract every concession it can from the Trump administration".

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's announcement that progress had been made "on almost all of the central issues" in ministerial-level talks held in July, including on setting a timeline for Pyongyang's denuclearization was met with rebuke by North Korean officials.

"We had expected that the US side would offer constructive measures that would help build trust based on the spirit of the leaders' summit.

"We were also thinking about providing reciprocal measures," an unnamed spokesperson of North Korea's foreign ministry said at the time in a statement published by the official Korean Central News Agency.

"However, the attitude and stance the United States showed in the first high-level meeting [between the countries] was no doubt regrettable," the spokesperson added.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

US sanctions Myanmar military over ...

Read More

Google staff condemn plan for censo...

Read More

Homes flooded, villages cut off as ...

Read More

Judge: 'Well-planned conspiracy' to...

Read More

Australian politicians condemn call...

Read More

Hong Kong activist renews calls for...

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Global_News

In his first televised speech, new leader pledges to cut down government spending and maintain peace with neighbours.

Read More

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Israel pounds Gaza

India's Kerala state devastated

Capturing life under apartheid